Thursday, October 29

Of Gunshots, Fireworks and Pegion Poop


















Graphite and brown pencil (acrylic for the poop)











Ugly is such a lazy thing - Project on the River Thames

"When you are disinterested in something you lose control of your mind and fail to see beauty. Ugly is such a lazy thing!" clara.

I finally heard gunshots today! Not like that's a particular occasion to celebrate but at least now I know how to distinguish between gunshots and firecrackers. Firecrackers goes "pop-pop pop" quite rapidly and the more obvious ones crackle and whistle at the end. Gunshots goes a quite deep "pop" pause.... and "pop" and is usually followed 10 minutes later by police sirens.

Not too big a concern unless you start to hear people screaming which fortunately hasn't happened. I just need to know how they sound like so I don't pop out happily for milk and eggs at Tesco thinking they're celebrating Halloween with firecrackers. 

The majority of Singaporeans would never have encountered a gun and so am relatively clueless what in the world you'd do with one. My classmate told me gangs usually fire it into the air to mark locations, threaten (I'm thinking howling at the moon doesn't go down well with macho-looking hoodie man) or celebrate birthdays. Woah, they sure know how to celebrate in London! And here I am thinking only Countries and the Queen gets gunfire salutes on their birthdays.



2 comments: